Across the state of Minnesota you will find high school lacrosse teams practicing for the 2015 season. With the recent mild weather several of these teams have been outside! Teams began official practice on March 30 with games beginning April 9.
73 boys lacrosse teams now have MSHSL ‘Varsity’ status, up from 68 in 2014. Four of the five new programs have previously competed at ‘Varsity Club’ status in the Minnesota Boys Scholastic Lacrosse Association (MBSLA). One of those teams is St. Louis Park, who were the 2014 MBSLA State champions. The Orioles, who finished 15-1 last season, are a member of the Metro West Conference and will compete in Section 6.
Other teams moving from ‘club’ status to the MSHSL include Hutchinson, St. Paul and Shattuck-St. Mary’s. The Tigers are a co-op between Hutchinson and New Century Academy, who went 4-6 in 2014. They are the fourth member of the Wright County Conference to add lacrosse, joining Delano, Holy Family and Orono).
St. Paul has had a MBSLA program, known as the St. Paul Celts, since 2003. Now the team will be a true city co-op open to all seven public high schools as well as Open World Learning. The team will be known as the St. Paul Bobcats.
Senior co-captain Carter McCoy commented on the new Bobcats, saying,
“we’re very excited about the formation of the St. Paul Public School team. We’ve been looking forward to this for a long time. Being able to represent the entire school systems and city is a great opportunity. We want to see this succeed far beyond the inaugural season and hope this will foster a new culture of city lacrosse.”
New MSHSL teams
- Hutchinson – Wright County – Section 2
- St. Louis Park – Metro West – Section 6
- St. Paul Bobcats (Central, Como Park, Harding, Highland Park, Humboldt, Johnson, Washington, OWL) – Section 6
- Shattuck-St. Mary’s – Section 1
- TriMAC Blackhawks (Minnehaha Academy, Concordia Academy, De La Salle, St. Agnes, St. Croix Lutheran, St. Paul Academy) – Tri-Metro – Section 6
April 9 schedule
- St. Louis Park at Bloomington Kennedy
- Spring Lake Park at Andover
- Osseo/Park Center at Anoka
- Irondale at Blaine
- Coon Rapids at Champlin Park
- Elk River at Centennial
- Holy Family at Hopkins
- East Ridge at Eagan