Three weeks into the Canadian University Field Lacrosse Association season are complete and just two teams remain undefeated. In the east, McGill (6-0) picked up three wins last week, including a come-from-behind overtime win at Trent. Brock (4-0) took sole possession of first in the west with a homecoming victory over rival Western (3-1). The two will rematch this week in London.
Western are not the only team in the hunt for the West Division title. Laurentian (3-1) have lost just once, 10-8 to the Mustangs, and will get their first shot at knocking off the undefeated Badgers on Saturday night.
First-year CUFLA member Nipissing (3-3) have surprised some early on, but coach Jon Moore is not. “While some may be surprised with our start I am not because of the skill level on this team,” commented Moore. “As a new team that is all rookies in this league, we are learning and improving with each game and hope to maintain a .500 record and make a push for a playoff spot.”
Zach Kozlowski (18 goals, 6 assists) and Curtis Perry (13 goals, 8 assists) are both among the top five scorers in the league while goalie Grant Moss (12.67 GAA) has played every minute of all six games for the Lakers.
In the East Division, Carleton and Bishop’s both sit at 3-1 just behind the division-leading Redmen. A Thursday night showdown in Sherbrooke between the Gaiters and McGill could tighten things even more. The Redmen will host the CU Ravens on Saturday night in Montreal. That game is scheduled to stream live at www.ssncanada.ca.
CUFLA announced the 2014 Baggataway Cup playoff format this week. Twelve teams will play for their opportunity to win the league championship to be held November 9. Guelph are the defending champions.
Week 4 Schedule
Wednesday, Sept. 24
- Carleton at Ottawa, 8:30 PM
Thursday, Sept. 25
- McGill at Bishop’s, 8:30 PM
Friday, Sept. 26
- Brock at Western, 8:00 PM
Saturday, Sept. 27
- Carleton at McGill, 4:00 PM
- Laurentian at Toronto, 7:00 PM
- McMaster at Western, 7:00 PM
- Queen’s at Trent, 7:30 PM
Sunday, Sept. 28
- Guelph at Nipissing, 1:00 PM
- Laurentian at Laurier, 1:00 PM
- Ottawa at Trent, 5:30 PM
- Queen’s at Concordia, 6:00 PM
Week 3 Results:
- Laurier (6) at Guelph (15)
- Bishop’s (5) at McGill (11)
- Toronto (10) at McMaster (12)
- McGill (7) at Queen’s (6)
- Western (6) at Brock (14)
- Nipissing (9) at Laurier (5)
- Ottawa (9) at Bishop’s (19)
- Nipissing (9) at McMaster (12)
- McGill (15) at Trent (12), OT
- Queen’s (14) at Ottawa (7)
- Concordia (0) at Carleton (24)
- Laurier at Toronto, PPD