Demons Remain Unbeaten, Barrie Picks Up First Win


ST. CATHARINES, ON – Monday, March 3, 2014 – In Week 5, the Demons (6-0) picked up a big 13-8 victory over the Niagara Lock Monsters (4-2) on Friday night at the ILA.  On Saturday, Ohsweken rode a strong second half to a 13-10 win over the Durham Turfdogs (1-5).  Saturday night wrapped up with an invigorated Barrie Blizzard (1-4) team, picking up their first victory of the season with a thrilling 13-12 overtime victory against the SouthWest Cyclops (2-3).

On Friday night, the Niagara Lock Monsters travelled to the ILA looking to avenge their earlier defeat to Ohsweken, and give the Demons their first loss of the season.  In the first quarter, the action was back and forth with Ohsweken holding a slim 5-4 lead on a key goal by Wayne VanEvery with 8 seconds left in the quarter.  The second was controlled by the Demons as they held the Lock Monsters to just 1 goal and led 8-5 at the half.  The third quarter belonged to the Lock Monsters as they limited the high powered Demons to just 1 goal in the quarter and trailed 9-8 into the final frame.  However, Ohsweken stepped it up in the final quarter scoring 4 unanswered goals on their way to a 13-8 victory.

Saturday, the Demons travelled to Oshawa to take on the Durham Turfdogs.  Ohsweken controlled the first quarter leading 3-0 heading into the second.  Almost half way into the second quarter Durham came to life scoring 5 goals in the frame and trailed 6-5 at the half.  The third saw the teams go back and forth trading the lead twice before the fourth where the Demons scored 3 unanswered goals in the last five minutes securing the win with a score of 13-10.

Saturday evening the Barrie Blizzard travelled to the ILA to take on the SouthWest Cyclops.  The Blizzard have made some big personnel moves in the past two weeks in an effort to make the team more competitive on both ends of the floor.  The action in the first quarter was a tight checking affair with no goals until the Cyclops got on the board with just under 3 minutes left in the quarter.  That goal seemed to wake them up as the quickly potted 2 more and led 3-1 going into the second.  The next quarter belonged to the Blizzard as they were able to hold the Cyclops to just 2 goals while scoring 5 of their own and led 6-5 going into the half.  From there, the action was incredible with the two teams trading goals throughout the third until the score was tied 9-9 going into the fourth.  The Blizzard jumped out quickly in the last quarter with 3 fast goals and led 12-9 with just under 8 minutes to play.  But, the pesky Cyclops wouldn’t go down without a fight and with 3 minutes left in the game they tied it up at 12.  This game would be settled in overtime, and it was the recently acquired Travis Gibbons who grabbed a loose ball and fired it past goalie Jay Preece to give the Blizzard their first win of the season with a 13-12 victory.
Box Scores available at

Tech enthusiast, marketing and media. @Ludwig_Media

Tagged with:
Posted in Box Lacrosse, CLax

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow me on Twitter
%d bloggers like this: